Senior drivers absolutely require car insurance, especially since, because of their old age, unexpected expenses like those arising from a car accident might prove a quick way to financial ruin. That’s why today’s post focuses on the best ways to get access to affordable car insurance for Las Vegas senior citizens. As a matter of fact, the article focuses on three basic approaches to mitigating risk, which is the one factor that tends to drive auto insurance rates upward.
Avoid accidents to lower premiums on car insurance for Las Vegas senior citizens
Avoiding accidents – easier said than done, right? Especially when it comes to driving at an advanced age… However, traffic safety experts have a couple of pointers for keeping safe and steering clear of accidents:
- Be very vigilant at crossroads. According to state-wide statistics, most accidents involving senior citizens happen at crossroads. This is why you should always look ahead to check for incoming vehicles – and especially if you plan to change lanes immediately after the crossroads.
- Always keep your tires pointing straight ahead when the car is stopped at a traffic light. This way, if another driver rear-ends you in traffic, you will avoid being projected right into the flow of traffic.
- Keep your driving speed around the limit. Don’t drive too slow, as there are plenty of imminent dangers associated to such behavior in traffic. Very low speeds risk aggravating other drivers and you definitely don’t want to be left at the mercy of someone suffering from an episode of road rage.
Make sure you can see well
Another specific issue, which puts the elderly at risk and makes car insurance for Las Vegas senior citizens less affordable, is that of eye-sight problems. As long as you follow certain recommendations and get your eyes checked with an ophthalmologist on a regular basis, though, you should be safe. Safety experts recommend that:
- You are seated high enough in the driver’s seat so that you can always see at least ten feet ahead. Either adjust the seat or use a seat cushion to elevate yourself in the seat, if it doesn’t go that high. Always be on the lookout for pedestrians, children, and cyclists. Being seated high enough also ensures that you are not being blinded by the glare of approaching headlights in the dark.
- Always wear appropriate glasses, but especially at night. If your eyesight is too poor, avoid driving after sunset (or even dusk) altogether. If you do venture out into the streets at night, make sure you’re wearing the right kind of glasses, i.e. no sunglasses or otherwise tinted lenses.
Keep your driving skills in check
One of the most important factors for safety, but also for having access to affordable car insurance for Las Vegas senior citizens, is to make sure your driving skills are up to par. For one thing, understand that new cars may have different functions than the ones you drove several decades ago. Anti-lock brakes, for instance, will prove an invaluable tool for safety, but should be operated carefully when the roads are slippery. Also, the AARP offers ‘55 Alive’ driving and car technology classes for senior citizens in Nevada: by taking one of these eight-hour courses, you can make sure that your skills are up-to-speed (pun not intended) and even get a discount on your car insurance policy premium.